Respondus LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking tests in Blackboard Learn. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during a test.
If a Blackboard test requires that Respondus LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser.
1. Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
2. Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it.
(For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder)
3. If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by choosing Yes. Or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting.
4. Login to your Blackboard course.
5. Navigate to the test and select it.
6. If the instructor requires a test password, a new window will appear asking for the Exam Password. Enter the password and click Begin Exam.
7. The test will then start. (Note, once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.)
Whenever you are taking a test that needs LockDown Browser, you must get out of your normal browser and use the LockDown Browser found on your desktop. If you forget and try and access the test in your normal browser you will get this error message:
Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser that uses your webcam.
Some online RDC courses require the use of both the LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor.
You can use the webcam built into your computer or a webcam that plugs in with a USB cable.
Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam features.
A Student Quick Start Guide (PDF) is also available.
Library Hours Today
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License